Breast reduction, known in medical language as mammoplasty, is an aesthetic intervention that is usually performed on those women who have a large breast with the aim of reducing it and improving its shape and size by reducing and lifting the breast by giving it proportional body size. Women who want to reduce their breasts must have reached the age of maturity (eighteen years). Breast reduction surgery is often a life-saving solution for women who have large, drooping breasts that cause them discomfort such as neck or back pain, shoulder problems caused by bra straps, and marks that form under the breasts. .
Breast reduction is also quite useful to correct cases where we have visible asymmetry between the breasts. Breast reduction surgery takes approximately three hours and is performed under general anesthesia. Depending on the complexity of the intervention, patients can stay in the hospital for 1-2 nights. Breast reduction surgery does not limit the breastfeeding of the baby, does not increase the risk of breast tumor and allows the performance of all medical examinations such as mammography and ultrasound.
- On the day you perform the consultation with the surgeon, you must inform the surgeon if you are allergic to any medication, as well as refer to the doctor if you are taking any medication for health reasons that may influence the performance of the surgical intervention;
- A few days before the operation, you will perform a series of pre-operative examinations which inform the medical staff about your state of health before the operation;
- At least two weeks before surgery, you must stop taking drugs containing Acetylsalicylic Acid (such as Aspirin, Vivin C, Cardiospirin, etc.) and stop taking oral anticoagulants. Discontinuation of any therapy due to surgery must be consulted in advance with your doctor who prescribed the therapy;
- Smoking must be stopped at least two weeks before the intervention;
- The patient must have taken a shower, remove gel or nail polish products the day before the operation, and not consume food or liquids at least eight hours before the intervention;
- We recommend that patients wear comfortable clothes with buttons or zippers on the day of surgery.
After the operation
The recovery period after breast reduction surgery lasts 5 – 7 days and most patients start to feel better by the fourth or fifth day. Three days after the surgical intervention, the patient must appear at the DaVINCI clinic for the removal of the drains as well as the follow-up of other post-operative treatments. During the recovery period, it is important to keep the special recipes that will be offered to you by the DaVINCI Clinic and serve to keep the chest immobile. The doctor will follow you throughout the recovery period and will recommend when you are ready to resume your normal activity.