Breast reduction in men
Breast reduction in men or gynecomastia is a physical condition characterized by an excessive development of the chest in adult men or still boys. This is a common condition that, according to statistical data, affects about 40 to 60% of the male population. Gynecomastia is also observed in men who have lost a lot of weight. Although physical exercises can help, the skin hangs a lot, so in these conditions, surgical intervention for chest remodeling is recommended to give the male chest a flat and toned appearance with regular lines.
Male breast reduction is a simple surgical procedure that lasts 1.5 hours and is performed under total anesthesia. The surgeon performs this intervention to remove only the glandular or fat tissue, or can combine it with the general liposuction procedure. To remove the glandular tissue, the surgeon will make a very small incision around the areola of the breast. If fat is to be removed, the surgeon will make a slightly larger incision at the lower border of the areolar area, which is still considered small from an aesthetic point of view. The procedure for removing fat or glandular tissue is the same as liposuction. For better results, it is suggested that this intervention be combined with liposuction of the abdomen, hips and lower back.
- On the day you perform the consultation with the surgeon, you must inform the surgeon if you are allergic to any medication, as well as refer to the doctor if you are taking any medication for health reasons that may influence the performance of the surgical intervention;
- A few days before the operation, you will perform a series of pre-operative examinations which inform the medical staff about your state of health before the operation;
- At least two weeks before surgery, you must stop taking drugs containing Acetylsalicylic Acid (such as Aspirin, Vivin C, Cardiospirin, etc.) and stop taking oral anticoagulants. Discontinuation of any therapy due to surgery must be consulted in advance with your doctor who prescribed the therapy;
- Smoking must be stopped at least two weeks before the intervention;
- The patient must have taken a shower, remove gel or nail polish products the day before the operation, and not consume food or liquids at least eight hours before the intervention;
- We recommend that patients wear comfortable clothes with buttons or zippers on the day of surgery.
After the operation
After male breast reduction surgery, the entire area is bandaged and tied to ensure that the skin does not move. Usually, there may be some swelling and discomfort, and the pain can be controlled with medication. After gynecomastia surgery, the medical staff of the DaVINCI Clinic will provide you with a corset that keeps the chest area tight for 2 – 3 weeks. Threads in the area where the suture was made are removed after 8 -10 days.
Patients can return to work or normal activities three days after surgery, provided the work or activities are not strenuous or physically tiring. Markings may be visible immediately after surgery, but will fade almost completely in less than a year. Complications after gynecomastia surgery are rare and easily solvable. Most men are quite satisfied with the results achieved by breast reduction surgery.