Aesthetic chin surgery can improve the asymmetrical balance of your profile or correct a chin that lacks definition. If your chin is slightly pronounced or if your face connects to your neck without any definition, chin augmentation with a prosthesis may be an option for patients who have normal jaw function and development. Chin reshaping is performed to enlarge or reduce the chin. In cases where the patient expresses concern about his chin sticking out of the facial profile, the surgeon suggests chin reduction, which is an intervention that is performed under total anesthesia and lasts 45 – 60 minutes.
Meanwhile, for those people whose concern is an ingrown chin, the surgeon suggests chin implants or hyaluronic acid (mentofiller) for chin enlargement. Chin augmentation prostheses offer a permanent method of strengthening the chin and accentuating the chin which is particularly visible in profile. The alternative to chin reshaping with hyaluronic acid (filler) is a temporary and non-invasive solution for the patient, while chin augmentation surgery with implants is a final solution for chin emphasis and the intervention is performed by a qualified aesthetic surgeon to achieve a change that transforms your profile.
During chin augmentation surgery the surgeon can make your chin wider or even longer in order to improve not only the appearance of your chin, but also its function. The most common chin reshaping surgery technique is performed by making an incision in the lower gums of the mouth and then creating a space to hold the implant placed over the lower jawbone. The incision is usually made on the inside of the mouth so that after healing you will not have any marks.
Chin remodeling surgery can be performed by combining it with other interventions such as rhinoplasty (reshaping the nose) or liposuction of the gills, which together improve the appearance and profile of your face even more.
- On the day you perform the consultation with the surgeon, you must inform the surgeon if you are allergic to any medication, as well as refer to the doctor if you are taking any medication for health reasons that may influence the performance of the surgical intervention;
- A few days before the operation, you will perform a series of pre-operative examinations which inform the medical staff about your health condition before the operation;
- At least two weeks before surgery, you must stop taking drugs containing Acetylsalicylic Acid (such as Aspirin, Vivin C, Cardiospirin, etc.) and stop taking oral anticoagulants. Discontinuation of any therapy due to surgery must be consulted in advance with your doctor who prescribed the therapy;
- Smoking must be stopped at least two weeks before the intervention;
- The patient must have taken a shower, remove gel or nail polish products the day before the operation, and not consume food or liquids at least eight hours before the intervention;
- We recommend that patients wear comfortable clothes with buttons or zippers on the day of surgery.
After the operation
After the chin augmentation surgery, the surgeon puts a compression bandage on you which should be worn for 3 – 4 days. Your chin and face will feel hurt and maybe with slight pain, so after the surgery you will be advised by the doctor to take some painkillers. Chewing will be difficult for a few days after the operation; therefore, the doctor will recommend soft foods and a liquid diet.
After chin reshaping surgery with prosthetics, your face may feel elongated, narrow and puffy. This sensation will go away over time, usually after a week. Thursday will be aesthetically disturbing for a while. After all post-operative concerns are over, your chin will look more defined, stronger and will complement your profile. For most of our patients chin reshaping surgery restores self-esteem and certainly makes you smile a lot more.